- University of Michigan, 2001
- University of Michigan Law School, 2003
- 2004, New York
Alexis L. Cirel
Alexis L. Cirel is a partner in our Matrimonial and Family Law Group.In addition to her matrimonial practice, Ms. Cirel is a recognized leader in the quickly evolving area of reproductive family law. She was instrumental in the recent passage of the Child-Parent Security Act, legislation that legalizes gestational surrogacy in New York and ensures protections for New York families formed through the use of assisted reproduction, including being appointed to the Campaign Leadership Committee of Governor Andrew Cuomo’s efforts to pass the law.
Ms. Cirel is deeply committed to providing compassionate legal advice to all clients - whether they are going through a marriage dissolution or embarking on an exciting but complicated journey to building a family through third party assisted reproduction arrangements.
Alexis prides herself on being a passionate advocate and counselor who applies her technical and substantive litigation skills both effectively and empathetically.
Prior to joining the firm Alexis was a partner at a premier boutique matrimonial firm. Prior to that she was a senior litigation associate at Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP. She left the corporate world in order to focus her talents and experience exclusively on the practice of family law, and to pursue her personal and professional commitment to the human element of client-focused advocacy.
- New York City Bar Association’s Matrimonial Committee
- New York State Bar Association’s Family Law Section
- Co-chair of the Surrogacy Subcommittee of the NYSBA Family Law Section
- Women’s Bar Association of the State of New York
- Interdisciplinary Forum on Mental Health and Family Law
- American Bar Association’s Committee on Assisted Reproductive Technologies
- Co-Chair of the New York Women’s Bar Association’s Judiciary Committee
- WBASNY’s Health and Reproductive Rights Committee
- Peeps Board Member of the Chick Mission, Inc. (a nonprofit organization focused on fertility preservation for cancer patients)
- Grant Committee for Men Having Babies Gay Parenting Assistance Program
- Schwartz Sladkus Reich Greenberg Atlas, Partner
- Mayerson Abramowitz & Kahn, LLP, Partner
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP, Associate
- Compensated Gestational Surrogacy Has Arrived: The Child Parent Security Act Becomes Effective February 2021 – Part II (Webinar), New York State Bar Association, February 18, 2021
- Who is the Parent? - How the New World of Assisted Reproductive Technologies Is Affecting Decisions in Divorce, Family and Divorce Mediation Council of Greater New York. November 4, 2020
- Surrogacy and New York Parentage Laws, Time for a Change?, New York Women’s Bar Association, June 5, 2018
- Will the “Real” Parent Please Stand Up?, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC), New York Chapter, Speaker, June 14, 2016
- Death, Divorce and Reproductive Technology: What Every Practitioner Needs to Know About Planning For the Future; Resolving Disputes over the Distribution of Frozen Embryos in the Context of Divorce American Bar Association, 2015 Joint Fall CLE Conference, September 2015
- New York Super Lawyers 2018-2020